Town Crier’s Bell used by Sam Smy, when aged 90 ‘the oldest town crier in England’ until shortly before his death in 1936.
Set of Leather Money Bags used for collecting rents or market tolls. 18th or early 19th Century.
Oyster Legends (two lead and one brass) used by the Water Bailiffs to check annually on the size of the oysters taken from the river by Orford residents. The brass oyster legend is dated 3rd September 1689.
Bentwood Box labelled Mr Crisp’s Bills used by the Town Clerk for accounting receipts. c.1755-1759 (Orf.Mus.1993.119)
Borough Keys, one labelled Weights and Measures 1807. c.1750-1850.
(Orf.Mus.1992.163, 166,168-172; 1993.123)
Original Borough of Orford brass Seal Matrix dated 1579, depicting a castle supported by two lions rampant and inscription ‘Sigillum Officii Maioris Burgi Oreford’ (reversed).
Silver Badge of the Sergeants-at-Mace. One of a pair of badges which were worn on the sleeves of the Constables’ coats. It is in the form of a shaped shield with a shell and scroll border bearing the arms of the Town of Orford – a castle rising from a ship. One badge is dated c1715. The other is a later copy.
Bronze Seal Matrix which depicts a central turreted gatehouse with open doors, and a small animal’s head with large ears (a sheep). The inscription reads ‘S’NOVE:CUSTOMME:ORFORD (The seal of the new custom of/at Oreford). This rare seal is probably early 14th Century.
A selection of the Standard Weights and Measures used by the Borough of Orford. c.1823-1826.